Organizations are changing the way they handle their volunteers in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) created guidelines for people to follow to keep our communities safer, and these guidelines resulted in strict mandates that left people wondering how they can step up and make their communities a better place in the midst of hardship.
At the same time, private citizens and organizations alike are unsure how to navigate volunteer work during the pandemic. Is it possible to volunteer while keeping people safe? Volunteer software can be the solution to your organization’s desire to keep projects moving safely and effectively. The benefits of volunteer software during COVID-19 will show you that volunteering and COVID-19 can exist in the same world with great results.
What Is Volunteer Management Software and How Does It Work?
Volunteer management software is a tool that can enhance the volunteering experience. In the old days of volunteering, organizations had to keep track of their volunteers with paper schedules and mailed letters. These methods took a lot of time and effort, stretching organizations thin. It was harder to keep volunteers engaged, leading to high turnover rates and unpredictable turnout. Much of the time, organizations left volunteering to chance and hoped for the best.
These old-fashioned systems work poorly for everyone involved. The situation today is different thanks to volunteer management software. Many potential volunteers use the internet to find volunteer work. Your organization can use the same technologies to find volunteers and manage them when they come aboard your project.
Here are some of the ways volunteer management software can help streamline for your organization:
- Improve volunteer recruitment: Volunteer management software can make signing up easier for volunteers by integrating the process with your website. Attract more people to your cause by showing volunteers are a crucial part of your operations with an easy-to-use sign-up process.
- Retain more of your volunteers: You can use volunteer management software to organize tasks and let your volunteers know what’s coming. This intuitive approach will keep volunteers engaged and ready for the next task.
- Communicate with volunteers with ease: Volunteer management software has built-in communication features, making communication among parties easier than ever. This can tighten up projects and ensure your volunteers hear the latest news about a project’s status.
- Keep an updated schedule: The days of paper schedules and unannounced call-offs are over. With volunteer management software, you can post schedules online for everyone to access. Likewise, your volunteers can change their availability and adjust their schedules, so you always know who is going to be on the job.
- Save time: Volunteer management software integrates the functions you need to save time. Schedules, time sheets, and communication hubs will all be at your fingertips. Your volunteers will be in a better position for success and engagement.
How COVID-19 Has Impacted Volunteering
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed life for people around the world. Government mandates have kept people in their homes, leading businesses and organizations to change the way they operate. Virtual meetings and online activities have become the norm. As people change the way they interact in person, many organizations have needed to adjust how their volunteers do their work.
Here are some of the ways COVID-19 has impacted volunteering:
- Higher chance of call-offs: You need to be flexible to accommodate your volunteer’s health concerns. An increase in local cases, possible exposures, and catching the virus can cause your volunteers to stay home for an extended period.
- More virtual volunteering opportunities: More call-offs have given rise to more virtual volunteering opportunities. People in the community still want to contribute to local causes while keeping their friends and loved ones safe. Virtual fundraising events or social programs can meet this demand.
- Localized volunteering: Some volunteer work demands a hands-on approach. Showing up in person is crucial when organizations need workers to complete a task. Many volunteers still want to show up in person. Provide them with opportunities near their home to make them feel more comfortable.
- Social distancing and mask-wearing: According to the CDC, practicing social distancing is one of the best ways everyone can limit the spread of COVID-19. This has provided a challenge for volunteers who usually work near other individuals. The CDC also recommends that people wear masks to slow the virus’s spread, making it harder to spread smiles while volunteering.
- Increased motivation: Despite the risks of COVID-19, people want to volunteer in their communities at an increasing rate. You need to be ready to offer these potential volunteers opportunities. Volunteer management software can help.
The Benefits of Volunteer Software During COVID-19
It’s easy to see that COVID-19 is presenting challenges to organizations and their volunteers. Volunteer management software can be the tool you need to maintain your operations and continue your projects. Here are five benefits of volunteer software:
- Create a contactless experience: You can meet, recruit, schedule, and communicate with your volunteers remotely while keeping everyone safer. For any in-person volunteer operations, check-in kiosks like VicTouch allow volunteers to check themselves in for a shift while promoting social distancing.
- Foster strategic communication: Volunteer management software provides access to a single communication hub. Keep everyone informed with ease during every step of your volunteer project.
- Free up everyone’s time: Everyone’s time is valuable. Volunteer management software gives you the tools to manage your volunteers more quickly. And your volunteers will enjoy more free time as all the information they need goes right to their smartphones, tablets, or PCs.
- Enjoy easy-to-use features: Volunteer management software is easy to use, streamlining the entire process. You may wonder how you ever managed your volunteers without it.
- Turn volunteers into donors: Your volunteers may have chosen your organization because they agree with your mission and purpose. If they’re willing to put effort into your organization, they may also want to contribute financially to your cause. Think of your volunteers as potential donors. Secure their long-term commitment to your organization with a streamlined volunteering experience.
Volgistics Can Help You Manage Volunteers During COVID-19
Our volunteer management software has all the features you need to keep your volunteers engaged. Organizations from several different industries can enjoy our software’s benefits and take their volunteer programs to the next level. Our dedicated support team is here to help you use our software to its fullest potential. We’ll be there with you every step of the way so you, too, can experience better volunteer management during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We hope you’ll schedule a free demo so you can see how Volgistics volunteer management software can work for you. Contact us today for more information. We look forward to serving you during this challenging yet fruitful time for volunteering.