Many customers choose to convert volunteer data from their other programs into Volgistics using this free Import Utility.
About the Volgistics Import Utility
- The Import Utility is a stand-alone Microsoft Windows program you run on your own computer to convert simple volunteer data from an existing database on your computer into your Volgistics account.
- The Import Utility connects to Volgistics over the Internet. It uses secure (SSL) network connections to protect the privacy of your information as it is converted into Volgistics.
- The Import Utility requires Microsoft Windows, and is not compatible with Mac OS. You must run the Utility at a computer that has an Internet connection.
- You can use the Import Utility to import basic volunteer information from any "flat" tab or comma delimited text file (a flat file is a file in which each record is specified in a single line, with no related data in separate files). Fields you can import using the Import Utility are name; address; phone number(s); email address; date of birth; status; type; life hours (as a single entry); start date; stop date; and notes; plus the customizable fields in the Personal box on the Profile tab. For more complex data conversion requirements consider our Jump-Start Service. The PDF guide included with the free import utility lists the specific fields you can import.
- You must have a trial or paid Volgistics account and provide your Volgistics account number, login name, and password to use the Import Utility. The Import Utility is freely available to organizations that use Volgistics or are considering Volgistics for tracking volunteers.
- Depending on the complexity of the data files you want to convert, use of the Volgistics Import Utility may require an understanding of basic database design and the ability to re-organize information in spread sheet files. For best results, volunteer leaders may need to involve their IT department (if they have one), or a qualified paid or volunteer support person with these skills. Organizations that do not want to convert their existing data files themselves should consider the Volgistics Jump-Start Service.
- Volgistics can provide online technical support with the operation of the Import Utility and advise on general Volgistics data conversion questions. Users of the Import Utility are responsible for converting data to tab or comma delimited files (if necessary), determining what information their current data files contain and how it is organized, and where individual fields should be converted to in Volgistics.
ImportUtility.Zip (Updated December 11, 2018)
1. Create a Windows folder for the Import Utility.
2. Download the file and unzip the contents into the Import Utility folder
3. Read the Import Utility documentation "VIMPORT.PDF"
4. Run VIMPORT.EXE to start the Import Utility.
The documentation included with the Import Utility includes answers to the most common questions. If you have additional questions, please feel free to send us an inquiry.