There are two ways you can track volunteer training using the Volgistics History tab.
It's usually best to create a Checklist item for the training course and then use the Checklist to manage who has completed the course and who currently needs to complete it. Examples of training activities you might track as Checklist items include Orientation and Life safety training (because they are often a requirement for all volunteers); and CPR (because the training must be renewed periodically).
If you track training activities using the Checklist, you can record the name of the training event, the date it was last completed (if it was), and the date it next expires (if it expires). You can also use the Checklist page to get lists of volunteers for whom a specific training activity is due, or will soon expire.
If you choose to track your training activity using the Checklist features, you create the training events as you would any other Checklist item. Create a Checklist Item provides further guidance on this.
The second way to track training is in the Dates box on the History tab. This is usually best for training events that are not required for all volunteers and that do not need to be repeated periodically. Examples of training activities you might track in the Dates box would be public speaking, instructor training, and crisis intervention.
When you track training classes in the Dates box on the History tab, you can pre-register volunteers for training events, and track whether or not they attended, and the date they attended.
These are some of the differences between using the Checklist and the Dates box for tracking volunteer training:
The system supports a limited number of Checklist items, but you can track as many different training events as you would like if you track them in the Dates box.
You can use the Checklist feature to manage who needs to complete a particular course when you track training events on the Checklist, but not when you track them in the Dates box.
Here's how you track volunteer training activities in the Dates box on the History tab:
Start by adding the training activities you want to track to the Class Event dropdown list on the History tab:
- Choose Setup from the menu.
- Expand Field Options.
- Click History Tab.
- Select the Class event field.
- On the Field Properties page for the Class event field, enter the name of a training activity in the Add a new item field and then click the Save button. Repeat this step for each different training activity you want to track.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the Field Properties window when you're finished adding the training events you want to track (you can always return here and add more later).
Now you're ready to start recording training for volunteers. Here's how you would enter a training record for an individual volunteer:
- Choose Volunteers from the menu and then locate the volunteer's record.
- Select the History tab for the selected volunteer.
- If necessary, scroll down until you see the Dates box. Use the Add section of the Dates box to add a new training record:
- In the Add a dropdown field, select Class.
- In the Event dropdown field, select the class the volunteer attended. (If the class you want to add does not appear in the Event dropdown list, follow the instructions above for adding training activities to the Class Event dropdown).
- Enter the Date the volunteer attended the class.
- In the Notation dropdown list select Attended to show that the volunteer attended the selected class.
- Click the Save button. The new training entry now appears in the Dates box on this volunteer's History tab.
For more information about tracking volunteer training see How do I pre-register volunteers for training events? and How do I enter a training course for lots of volunteers in one step?.