Fiscal Year, Calendar Year, and YTD Statistics
Volgistics calculates and records statistical information about the service your volunteers provide for your organization. You can use the Statistics Setup page to tailor these statistics and configure statistical reporting rules for your database. If you're not already on the Statistics setup page, you can get there by following these steps:
- Select Setup from the menu.
- Expand Other Options.
- Select Statistics.
This section allows you to configure which information appears in the Statistics box on the Core tab of your volunteer records. Below you can learn more about how to configure these options to include or exclude certain statistics. For the Life, YTD, MTD, and floating hour totals, these settings also control whether or not you'll be able to sort a Volunteer List report by the hour value recorded for each volunteer. The settings for sorting the report are on the Options tab when you customize a Volunteer List report.
Date of Last Activity¶
Volgistics tracks your volunteers' most recent instance of recorded service using the date of last activity statistic. Check the Date of last activity checkbox if you want this information to appear in the Statistics box for each volunteer.
Years of Service¶
The years of service statistic uses the volunteer's Status dates to track how long the volunteer has been serving with your organization. See the Years of service section below for information on customizing your settings. If you want to include this information in the Statistics box for each of your volunteers, check the Years of service checkbox.
Life, YTD, MTD, and Floating¶
Use the checkboxes under these columns to choose the volunteer service totals you want to appear in the Statistics box for each volunteer. You can select to have statistics shown for hour, Merit Hour, or any Service Measure totals in your account.
- Check items in the Life column to include the grand total of all service recorded for the volunteer.
- Check items in the YTD column to include year-to-date service totals for a volunteer. These subtotals are for the fiscal year you set for your account. If your fiscal year corresponds with your calendar year, the YTD total will be for your calendar year. On the first day of each fiscal year, these subtotals automatically return to zero until the first service entry is made for a volunteer in the new fiscal year. (This setting only affects the service totals displayed in the Statistics box on the Core tab. You can always run Service Summary or Service Details reports to get service totals for specific fiscal or calendar years.)
- Check items in the MTD column to include month-to-date service totals for a volunteer. These subtotals are for the current month. On the first of each month these subtotals automatically return to zero until the first service entry is made for a volunteer in the new month. (This setting only affects the service totals displayed in the Statistics box on the Core tab. You can always run Service Summary or Service Details reports to get service totals for other months.)
- In addition to Life, YTD, and MTD subtotals, you may also include up to two floating subtotals in the Statistics box. See the Floating subtotals section below for information on defining the month range the subtotals cover. To include one or both floating subtotals in the Statistics box, check the corresponding checkboxes here.
Volgistics Fiscal Year¶
Volgistics calculates year-to-date (YTD) service statistics based on a 12-month cycle you define here. This 12-month cycle is known as the Volgistics fiscal year.
If you want Volgistics to report year-to-date service based on the calendar year (January through December), choose January from the dropdown list. If you want Volgistics to report year-to-date service based on a 12-month period that is not the same as the calendar year - such as a fiscal year used by your organization or a school year - choose the first month of that year here.
The Volgistics fiscal year is used as the basis for calculating these statistics:
- YTD Hours. The Year-to-date (YTD) hours field which appears in the Statistics box on the Core tab is the sum of each volunteers service since the first day of the current Volgistics fiscal year.
- Service summary reports. The Service Summary Report format includes an option for generating volunteer service statistics for either the calendar year, or the Volgistics fiscal year.
- Award criteria. You can create award rules based on service performed during the calendar year or the Volgistics fiscal year.
Years of Service¶
Volgistics calculates a volunteer's years of service as the number of years (and months) the volunteer's Status has been any of the Statuses checked in this section. For example, if you check only the Active Status here, volunteer years of service will include just the number of years the volunteer has been active (had the Active Status).
Check all of the Statuses if you want volunteer years of service to be the number of years since each volunteer's earliest Status date (all of the years since they first started, even if they have had periods of inactivity).
In addition to MTD, YTD, and Life service totals, Volgistics gives you an option for displaying volunteer service subtotals for two additional time periods that you choose. These are called floating subtotals because you may change the time period they include whenever you wish.
These are examples of time periods you might choose to display service subtotals for:
- Last year (choose the beginning and end of your previous fiscal year or calendar year).
- A 2nd fiscal year (choose the beginning and end of a previous fiscal year).
- A quarter (choose the beginning and ending dates of any three month period).
- This month last year (choose this month last year as both the beginning and ending date)
- Floating (and Other) Subtotals
- Create a Leaderboard Report
- Fiscal Year Settings
- Date of Last Activity
- Years of Service Settings
- Core Tab Overview