System Operator Ground Rules¶
System Operator Ground Rules
Use the System Operator Ground Rules page to set your organization's password policies for Volgistics System Operators. If you are not already on the System Operator Ground Rules page, you can there by:
The settings on this page affect the passwords used by Volgistics System Operators. They do not affect passwords used by volunteers or coordinators to access the VicNet portal. The settings for VicNet passwords are found on the VicNet Ground Rules page.
Protect Your Account with Strong Passwords!
Volgistics takes the security of your data very seriously and follows industry best practices to make sure the system is safe. However, industry experts agree that the greatest threat to security is often the human factor presented by operators using easy-to-guess passwords. You can prevent this by using the settings on this page to require new passwords to meet strength requirements. Common recommendations for strong passwords appear below. Items you can enforce with the settings found on the System Operators Ground Rules page appear with an asterisk (*) after them.
- The password should not simply be a word (or string of words) found in the dictionary. Requiring items 3 and 4 on this list should help prevent this.*
- The password should contain upper and lower case letters.*
- The password should contain numbers as well as letters.*
- The password should contain symbols (such as $, &, or ) as well as letters.
- The password should be adequately long. Many feel that passwords should be 14 characters or longer to be secure.*
- The password should be unique to Volgistics. Meaning the password should not be used at any other website. You cannot enforce this with the settings on the System Operators Ground Rules page, but you can counsel your operators to adopt this strategy.
Password strength rules¶
Must be at least x characters long¶
Use this control to specify a minimum password length for Volgistics System Operator passwords. Choose any number between 6 and 30. For example, if you want to require that Volgistics System Operator passwords be at least 12 characters long, select 12 here. The system will prevent System Operators from choosing a password that is shorter than this.
Generally, longer passwords provide better security.
Must contain a combination of letters and numbers¶
When you check this box, new Volgistics System Operator passwords must contain some combination of letter characters (a through z) and number characters (0 through 9). When this box is not checked, new Volgistics System Operator passwords may contain just letter characters, just number characters, or some combination of both.
Generally, passwords that contain a combination of letters and numbers provide better security.
Must contain a combination of lower case and uppercase letters¶
Check this box if you want to require that passwords contain both lowercase and uppercase letters. When this box is not checked, passwords may contain all lowercase, all uppercase, or both lowercase and uppercase letters. This option is not available unless the option to make passwords contain letters and numbers is selected.
Must contain some characters that are not letters and numbers (such as !#$&?)¶
Check this box if you want to require passwords to contain at least one character that is not a number (0 through 9) or a letter of the alphabet (a through z).
Expire every x days¶
Choose Never expire if you not want to require Volgistics System Operators to change their Volgistics passwords periodically.
Choose Expire every x days if you want to require Volgistics System Operators to change their Volgistics passwords periodically. Use the drop-down list to choose how frequently passwords should expire.
If you choose to have your System Operator passwords expire periodically, System Operators will receive a notice that their password will expire soon on the Welcome page beginning one week before their password will expire. System Operators may change their password when see this notice. If a System Operator does not change their password before it expires, Volgistics will require them to update their password the next time they log in.
Require New Passwords
After you update your account's password strength settings to protect your account, make sure operators update their passwords to comply with the new requirements. Follow these steps to do this:
- Select Setup from the menu.
- Expand System Operators.
- Select an operator's name from the list.
- Check the box in front of Operator must change their password when they login next.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- Repeat steps 1-5 for each operator record you want to require to set a new password.