Five Acres Animal Shelter is a non-profit animal welfare organization, founded in 1973 and serves all of St. Charles, as well as across the state and country. We are the only no-kill animal shelter in St. Charles, Missouri.
Five Acres Animal Shelter heavily relies on donations, fundraising, and the efforts of volunteers to support our programs. Five Acres Animal Shelter offers programs to benefit animals and educate the public about pet care, safety, the importance of spaying and neutering, and many other topics.
Some of our animals come from animal control facilities from other municipalities, where they are at risk of euthanasia and others come from private citizens who are no longer able to care for their pet(s). We love and care for these companion animals until we find their forever family. We never euthanize an animal to make space for more. All of our adoptable pets are spayed or neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, given preventatives; and cats are tested for FeLV and FIV.
We are NOT currently accepting new volunteers at the Five Acres Animal Shelter– Pralle location. However, we have exciting volunteer opportunities now available at our newest location – Five Acres– Randolph.
- Must be 18 years old
- Must be gentle and compassionate with animals
- Must enjoy working with animals and people
We need dog walkers, kennel cleaners, cat enrichment volunteers, shelter helpers, front desk reception helpers, and volunteers to help with dishes and laundry.
PLEASE NOTE: Volunteering at an animal shelter can include strenuous activity. While the following requirements may not apply to all volunteer opportunities, some of the listed requirements and areas may apply to you and your specific preferred volunteer opportunity. For specific opportunities where physical requirements are required, volunteers must have the ability/willingness to:
- follow oral and written instructions
- establish effective working relationship with staff, other volunteers, and the public
- perform moderate manual labor or common office duties
- function while being exposed to the shelter environment (i.e. constant noise/ barking, animal hair and dander, cleaning chemical odors, etc.)
- safely and efficiently operate assigned equipment after appropriate instruction (washer, dryer, broom, mop, water hose, high pressure washer, computer, disinfectant *equipment used depends on volunteer assignment
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PROSPECTIVE DOG WALKERS:
We are currently accepting dog walkers who meet the following requirements:
- have weekday morning, or weekend availability
- have experience walking and handling large dogs
- are able to consistently commit to a minimum of 6 hours per month for at least 6 months
If you meet the criteria for dog walking and are 18 or older, here are your next steps to becoming a volunteer for Five Acres Animal Shelter!
1) Complete the application below. Fill out completely.
2) After review of your application to make sure we are a good fit for you and you are a good fit for Five Acres, we will extend an invitation to attend a Volunteer Orientation (at this time, all Orientations are being scheduled via Zoom - dates and times will be shared with you).
3) After Orientation, we will give you instruction on how to access your Volunteer Page. Specific assignments will not be opened up until you complete Shadow Training.
NOTE- Those who would like to volunteer with our dogs must complete at least 2 Shadow Training sessions. Those wishing to work with cats will need to schedule at least one Shadow Training.
4) Once Shadow Training is complete, click on your My Schedule tab to see which of your preferred shifts are available and sign up!