Please be sure to READ all of the information below before completing a Volunteer Application form! Once you have read the information and understand the process and expectations, please complete the form, and click the submit button at the bottom! There is a $15 New Volunteer Registration fee that helps to cover the following:
- cost of Volunteer Orientation and subsequent Training
- Volunteer appreciation events and programs (including our new High Five Volunteer Incentive Program!)
- and last, but not least, a Five Acres Animal Shelter Volunteer t-shirt that you receive at the end of your first shift/Shadow Training!
Five Acres Animal Shelter has a small dedicated staff that oversees the daily operations of our animal shelter. We rely on our volunteers, who donate many talents, to help us provide the best care for the animals entrusted to us, to assist with our programs, to spread awareness of our mission, and to raise funds to support our organization.
Why become a volunteer at Five Acres Animal Shelter?
• Everything you do helps the animals in our care
• Work side-by side with people who share similar interests
• Get away from your daily grind
• Be involved in the community
• Learn new skills
• Relieve stress – studies show that being with animals can lower your blood pressure
• No one will ever greet you the way a dog or cat does!
Please read the following information to make sure you are a good fit for Five Acres and that Five Acres is a good fit for you!
- You must be 16 or older to volunteer at the Five Acres – Pralle location
- You must be 18 or older to volunteer at the Five Acres – Randolph location
- Must enjoy working with animals and people; for dog walkers, you need to be comfortable and have experience walking and handling large dogs
- You must be gentle and compassionate with animals
- You can commit to donating a minimum of 6 hours per month
- Recognize that, while volunteering at an animal shelter is rewarding, it is also a great amount of work. Team Members will rely on you for help when you sign up for shifts- whether it be for walking or cleaning kennels or floors or laundry, etc., we appreciate flexibility and working together toward a common goal!
PLEASE NOTE: Our most needed Volunteering opportunities at Five Acres can include strenuous activity. While the following requirements may not apply to all volunteer opportunities, some of the listed requirements and areas may apply to you and your specific preferred volunteer opportunity. For specific opportunities where physical requirements are required, volunteers must have the ability/willingness to:
• follow oral and written instructions
• establish effective working relationship with staff, other volunteers, and the public
• perform moderate/hard manual labor, including deep cleaning and lifting up to 50 lbs.
• function while being exposed to the shelter environment (i.e. constant noise/barking
• animal hair and dander, cleaning chemical odors, etc.)
• safely and efficiently operate assigned equipment after appropriate instruction (washer, dryer, broom, mop, water hose, high pressure washer, disinfectant (equipment used depends on volunteer assignment)
If you are willing and able to meet the needs listed above, and have some flexibility in your schedule to be able to commit to a minimum of 6 hrs/month, please complete a Volunteer Application! Thank you for your interest in helping the cats and dog in our care while working alongside our Team Members!
***** If you need to complete Court-Ordered Community Service, we are accepting limited numbers at this time. If that is the case, we request that you fully complete the area of the application that asks for information specific to your court ordered service. If you do not complete this information or notify us that you are here for court ordered hours on your application, but come to us at a later date needing us to sign off on hours, we will be unable to do so. If you choose to complete your hours at Five Acres, you must commit to at least 2 shifts per week until your hours are complete.
1) Complete the application below. Once submitted, you will receive an email confirming your application submission with a link to process your New Volunteer Registration fee. Thank you in advance! *If you do not process the Registration Fee, you will not get the invite for Orientation, so please process your payment before you can sign up for Orientation!*
2) Please give us a few days to process all applications. After we review your application to make sure we are a good fit for you and you are a good fit for Five Acres, we will extend an invitation to attend a Volunteer Orientation (at this time, all Orientations are being scheduled via Zoom – dates and times will be shared with you to choose from).
3) Attend Orientation at your chosen day and time through Zoom- we ask that camera and mic are both on!
3) After Orientation, we will send you instructions on how to access your Volunteer Page, where you can sign up for volunteer shifts and get started!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Five Acres Animal Shelter!