Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for animal husbandry volunteer program. Individuals are required to complete a minimum of 7.5 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks, after which point they can be eligible for an extension. These are not paid positions.
The Maritime Aquarium houses many species of fishes, invertebrates, frogs, and reptiles, from the Long Island Sound and beyond. Our aquarists work daily to provide the best husbandry for the animals in their care. From routine exhibit cleaning and feeding, to water quality testing and health examinations, our staff completes a wide variety of tasks as a part of their jobs every day.
An aquarist volunteer can be anyone 18 years of age or older, who is interested in assisting our team as they carry out their daily husbandry tasks. As a volunteer, individuals will learn how to maintain aquarium exhibits, prepare diets, complete water quality tests, and keep records, as well as be introduced to aquatic animal health assessments, quarantine procedures, and aquarium system design. If you have a love for animals, an enthusiastic attitude, and a willingness to learn, please consider applying to be a husbandry volunteer in one of our galleries! We are offering husbandry volunteer positions working with Jellies, Tropical Fish and Invertebrates, Cold Water Fish and Invertebrates, Frogs and Reptiles, and Hospital and Quarantine, for a total of 5 positions.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
• Some background knowledge in aquarium keeping preferred, although not required.
• Ability to lift and carry 65 pounds.
• Ability to negotiate stairs and maneuver on wet and uneven terrain.
• Demonstrates strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with both staff and guests.
• Desire to learn and demonstrate our mission: To inspire people of all ages to appreciate and protect the Long Island Sound ecosystem and the global environment.
• Demonstrate high level of enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Minimum time requirement of at least 7.5 hours a week over a 12-week period or more.
• Upon acceptance, Volunteer will be required to pay a $50 administrative fee to defray the cost of a criminal background check, uniform polo and name tag to be worn while on duty at all times.
• Be dependable and punctual at all times.
• Attend educational sessions designed to increase interpretation of every day husbandry tasks.
To apply, please submit the online application below, followed by a cover letter, resume, and list of references address to Rachel Stein at email@example.com.
Qualified applicants will be contacted via email to coordinate a skype, or in-person interview. Applicants will be selected after the interview process based upon general knowledge, experience, attitude, punctuality, and by recommendation.