Heartland's mission is to provide shelter, care and humane treatment of lost, stray and abandoned animals until they are adopted. We are a private, non-profit, charitable organization that relies on the hard work and dedication of its volunteers to provide quality care for the animals we shelter. Devoting time as a volunteer helps improve the quality of life for the animals and the likelihood that each one will find a permanent, loving home.
Volunteering at an animal shelter can include strenuous activity and might affect some people with animal allergies. While not all of these requirements apply to all volunteer opportunities, some of these requirements and areas may apply to you and your specific volunteer opportunity. For those specific opportunities where physical requirements are required volunteers must be able to do the following:
1. Must be able to run, jog, and walk at a fast pace if needed.
2. Must be able to run or walk backwards if needed.
3. Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
4. If you suffer from allergies you might experience symptoms while at the shelter.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PROSPECTIVE DOG WALKERS:
Due to the high volume of individuals who are looking to walk dogs and our limited ability to keep up with demand to train each new dog walker in a timely manner, we are currently only accepting dog walkers who meet the following requirements:
- Have weekday morning or weekend evening availability
- Have experience walking and handling large dogs
- Are able to consistently commit to a minimum of two hours per week on a shift in need
If you meet the above criteria for dog walking and are 18 or older then you can either take the online orientation and assessment or attend an in person orientation. If, however, you are interested in walking dogs but do not meet the above criteria we ask that you attend an in person orientation at the end of the month.
How to become a Heartland Volunteer
1. Complete this application. Fill out completely.
2. Attend a Volunteer Orientation (please see website for orientation times/dates).
Complete an online orientation and assessment (a link with the option to complete online orientation will be emailed to you after submitting your Volunteer Application)
3. After orientation, your account will be activated (please allow 48 hours for processing). Once activated, you will be able to sign in to our Volgistics portal to sign up for mentoring sessions or other volunteer opportunities.
Note - Those who would like to volunteer with dogs must complete at least four mentoring sessions. Those wishing to volunteer with cats will need to schedule one mentoring session.
4. Once training is complete, you can contact email@example.com if you need direction about which shift needs help (recommended) or you can log into the Volgistics portal to see which shifts are available and sign up directly in the portal.