Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for the marine mammal volunteer program. Individuals are required to complete a minimum of 7.5 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks, after which point they can be eligible for an extension. These are not paid positions.
The Maritime Aquarium is home to several species of mammals, both marine and terrestrial. We currently house harbor seals, North American river otters, slender-tailed meerkats, Geoffroy’s tamarins, a striped skunk and a prehensile-tailed porcupine. In addition to providing excellent husbandry care we strive to provide an engaging training program for our inhabitants. Training is an important part of daily animal care; allowing us to mentally and physically stimulate our animals on a daily basis. We train our animals for medical management behaviors such as blood draws, weights, and ultrasounds. We also train behaviors to physically stimulate our animals such as spins, jumps and waves.
Volunteers will assist us with a variety of tasks. Ideally a term would last 12 weeks, after this initial timeframe, volunteers would be eligible for an extension. This is not a paid position.
Please note that this position does not involve feeding or training the animals, however you will play an integral role assisting staff during training sessions and presentations, and work in close proximity to the animals.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
• Applicants must be dependable
• Have excellent English written and oral communication skills
• Be comfortable bending and walking on uneven and wet terrain
• Be able to maneuver 65 lbs.
• Desire to learn and demonstrate our mission: To inspire people of all ages to appreciate and protect the Long Island Sound ecosystem and the global environment.
• Demonstrate high level of enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Minimum time requirement of at least 7.5 hours a week over a 12-week period or more.
• Upon acceptance, Volunteer will be required to pay a $50 administrative fee to defray the cost of a criminal background check, uniform polo and name tag to be worn while on duty at all times.
• Be dependable and punctual at all times.
• Attend educational sessions designed to increase interpretation of every day husbandry tasks.
To apply, please submit the online application below, followed by a cover letter, resume, and list of references address to Sarah Norquist at email@example.com
Qualified applicants will be contacted via email to coordinate a skype, or in-person interview. Applicants will be selected after the interview process based upon general knowledge, experience, attitude, punctuality, and by recommendation.