By submitting this application, I agree and acknowledge that:
- I am applying to serve in a role at an inner-city shelter in Edmonton during the COVID-19 pandemic. I understand that this role means I will be serving in the same space as others including Hope Mission guests.
- For the safety of everyone, I will do my part to minimize the risk of COVID-19 as per Alberta Health Guidelines and any additional Hope Mission protocols including, but not limited to:
i) Maintaining a physical distance of 6ft (2m) from others wherever possible
ii) Practicing Good Hygiene such as washing my hands often
iii) Covering coughs and sneezes and avoiding touching my face
iv) Monitoring for COVID-19 symptoms and staying home if I feel unwell
- I am fully aware and understand that public health measures in Alberta were lifted as of July 1, 2021, but PPE is still required and mandatory to serve in this role at Hope Mission. Should I be selected to volunteer, then I will properly wear all required PPE for the duration of my shift. If I refuse to wear all required PPE or use it improperly, then it may mean termination of my volunteerism at Hope Mission
- As a volunteer at Hope Mission, I agree and understand that I should not serve at Hope Mission if have been confirmed as a close contact of anyone else who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days, if I am not in good health, or if I am exhibiting any symptoms related to COVID-19 (Shortness of breath, runny nose, or sore throat). Should I develop any of these symptoms, I will notify Hope Mission as soon as possible
I also agree and acknowledge that:
1. I am aware and familiar with the fact that Hope Mission is a homeless shelter and soup kitchen in the inner city of Edmonton.
2. I freely and voluntarily assume any risks and hazard inherent in the nature of volunteering at Hope Mission and accordingly my participation shall be entirely at my own risk. I am aware I must have WHMIS certification if I am mixing chemicals while on site.
3. I waive any claim I may have against Hope Mission arising from my volunteerism, and agree to indemnify and save harmless Hope Mission from any claim, including any claim for medical service arising from my participation in volunteering.
4. Hope Mission may secure such medical advice and services as it, in its sole discretion, may deem necessary for my health and safety and I shall be financially responsible for such advice and services.
5. The release, waiver of claim, and assumption of risk is binding on myself, my heirs, my executors, administrators, personal representatives, parents / guardians, and assignees.
6. I also release Hope Mission from any and all liability resulting from my verbal testimony given of my own free will.
7. I understand that Hope Mission is a Christian social organization, and that agreeing with this document does not indicate belief in the Hope Mission statement of faith or values, but rather that I agree to respect and not detract from them during my service as a volunteer.
Rules and Safety
I will abide by Hope Mission's rules and regulations:
(a) I will not give out any unnecessary personal information about myself (including last name, phone number, address, etc.)
(b) I will not accept or offer gifts (including loaning money or offering a ride).
(c) I will not go into an isolated area of the Hope Mission building or property by myself or with a Hope Mission client. I will make sure there is always another volunteer or staff member present.
(d) I will not enter into a dating, sexual, or otherwise inappropriate relationship with a Hope Mission client.
(e) I will be very cautious regarding physical touch with Hope Mission clients and will not engage in any kind of touch (hugging, arm around the shoulder, etc) unless I've ensured that both parties are comfortable with this.
(f) I will not get involved if there is a crisis situation at Hope Mission, but will alert staff and step back to a safe distance.
(g) I will dress appropriately and modestly while I am volunteering at Hope Mission, and will abide by the dress code (no open toed shoes, tank tops, low cut shirts, shorts or skirts, or clothing with profanity or inappropriate graphics).
(h) I understand that Hope Mission is not responsible for any personal belongings, and I will leave all of my valuables at home or, if necessary, in my vehicle.
(i) I will not use derogatory or profane language in Hope Mission at any time.
(j) I will not disclose any information I learn while at Hope Mission, including the identity of community members. I will not take photos without permission or share stories with the media unless arranged by Hope Mission and with full permission of the individuals involved.
(k) I understand that I am expected to arrive on time and stay for the full length of my shift, as the rest of the team is relying on my participation. If I can’t make my shift for whatever reason, I understand that I am expected to email or phone the volunteer coordinator or department supervisor with as much notice as possible.
(l) I will not use a cellphone while volunteering unless it is for emergency purposes.