Please complete this application form if you are interested in becoming a Hope Mission volunteer at our Edmonton location. To volunteer at our Calgary location, please visit http://hopemission.com/kids/calgary/serve-in-calgary/.
We greatly appreciate your support in keeping everyone safe at Hope Mission!
Once you complete the form and agree to our waiver, please click the continue button at the bottom.
Please indicate the days and times you are usually available to volunteer.
We like to keep volunteers informed of important news, schedules, and volunteer opportunities by email, however, we will not send you any email you prefer not to receive. Use the checkboxes below to select the kinds of email you would like to receive from us.
Volgistics Volunteer Alerts sends reminders, alerts, and custom messages from System Operators and
Coordinators. Use this section to opt-in and opt-out of text messaging (also known as "SMS"),
and initially set how you would like to receive messages. Your messages can be delivered as emails,
text messages, or none. You can change this at any time through VicNet. View supported phone carriers.
Message and Data Rates May Apply. For help or information on this program send "HELP" to 28344.
You can send "STOP" to 28344 at any time to opt out. For additional assistance, call 888-891-6978 or
Message frequency based on account settings.
Messages are not guaranteed to be delivered. All messages will be sent by email until you respond "YES"
to the welcome text message sent after the application form is submitted. Message preferences
can be changed in VicNet on the Account tab.
By submitting this application, I agree and acknowledge that:
- I am applying to serve in a role at an inner-city shelter in Edmonton during the COVID-19 pandemic. I understand that this role means I will be serving in the same space as others including Hope Mission guests.
- For the safety of everyone, I will do my part to minimize the risk of COVID-19 as per Alberta Health Guidelines.
I also agree and acknowledge that:
1. I am aware and familiar with the fact that Hope Mission is a homeless shelter and soup kitchen in the inner city of Edmonton.
2. I freely and voluntarily assume any risks and hazard inherent in the nature of volunteering at Hope Mission and accordingly my participation shall be entirely at my own risk. I am aware I must have WHMIS certification if I am mixing chemicals while on site.
3. I waive any claim I may have against Hope Mission arising from my volunteerism, and agree to indemnify and save harmless Hope Mission from any claim, including any claim for medical service arising from my participation in volunteering.
4. Hope Mission may secure such medical advice and services as it, in its sole discretion, may deem necessary for my health and safety and I shall be financially responsible for such advice and services.
5. The release, waiver of claim, and assumption of risk is binding on myself, my heirs, my executors, administrators, personal representatives, parents / guardians, and assignees.
6. I also release Hope Mission from any and all liability resulting from my verbal testimony given of my own free will.
7. I understand that Hope Mission is a Christian social organization, and that agreeing with this document does not indicate belief in the Hope Mission statement of faith or values, but rather that I agree to respect and not detract from them during my service as a volunteer.
Rules and Safety
I will abide by Hope Mission's rules and regulations:
(a) I will not give out any unnecessary personal information about myself (including last name, phone number, address, etc.)
(b) I will not accept or offer gifts (including loaning money or offering a ride).
(c) I will not go into an isolated area of the Hope Mission building or property by myself or with a Hope Mission client. I will make sure there is always another volunteer or staff member present.
(d) I will not enter into a dating, sexual, or otherwise inappropriate relationship with a Hope Mission client.
(e) I will be very cautious regarding physical touch with Hope Mission clients and will not engage in any kind of touch (hugging, arm around the shoulder, etc) unless I've ensured that both parties are comfortable with this.
(f) I will not get involved if there is a crisis situation at Hope Mission, but will alert staff and step back to a safe distance.
(g) I will dress appropriately and modestly while I am volunteering at Hope Mission, and will abide by the dress code (no open toed shoes, tank tops, low cut shirts, shorts or skirts, or clothing with profanity or inappropriate graphics).
(h) I understand that Hope Mission is not responsible for any personal belongings, and I will leave all of my valuables at home or, if necessary, in my vehicle.
(i) I will not use derogatory or profane language in Hope Mission at any time.
(j) I will not disclose any information I learn while at Hope Mission, including the identity of community members. I will not take photos without permission or share stories with the media unless arranged by Hope Mission and with full permission of the individuals involved.
(k) I understand that I am expected to arrive on time and stay for the full length of my shift, as the rest of the team is relying on my participation. If I can t make my shift for whatever reason, I understand that I am expected to email or phone the volunteer coordinator or department supervisor with as much notice as possible.
(l) I will not use a cellphone while volunteering unless it is for emergency purposes.