Please complete this application form if you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter. Our volunteers do very important work at the shelter.
Once you complete the form, click the submit button at the bottom.
Please enter the name you would like to appear on your name tag.
Tell us why you want to volunteer at The Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter.
Please check 'Yes' if you are a current volunteer or have previously volunteered at The Heart of the Valley
Please check any skills or interests you have that you would like to share with us.
Please indicate the days and times you are usually available to volunteer. This is a general guideline. We understand schedules can be dynamic and ever-changing.
As an HOV volunteer, you will have access to our web based Volunteer Information Center (VIC).
The VIC will be your source for the latest volunteer program updates and available volunteer shifts.
Please choose your password that is easy for you to remember.
Please check yes if you have any special needs we need to be aware of.
In the event of an emergency whom should we notify?
Please list your current or most recent employer, if applicable.
A positive response will not necessarily bar you from volunteering, but failure to disclose will.
VOLUNTEER APPLICATION AND AGREEMENT
By checking the “I agree” box below, I indicate that I have read, understand and agree to the following:
1. I understand and agree that submitting this application form does not automatically register me as a Heart of the Valley, Inc. (“HOV”) volunteer, and that there may be certain qualifications I must meet, including the acceptance of established volunteer policies and procedures before I may begin volunteering.
2. By submitting this form, I attest that the information I have provided on the form is true and accurate.
3. My services to HOV are provided strictly in a voluntary capacity as a Volunteer without any express or implied promise of salary or compensation of any kind. This would include any employment type benefits, including employment insurance programs, worker's compensation accrual in any form, vacations or sick time or any type of payment.
4. I will familiarize myself and comply with HOV policies and procedures applicable to Volunteers. I will abide by the mission, rules, regulations, policies and programs of HOV while I am a volunteer. In particular, I fully understand that HOV expects high standards of ethical treatment of animals under its care.
5. I fully understand that HOV is an "Open Door" shelter and how HOV defines and implements this policy. I also understand that HOV may euthanize animals at any time for medical or behavioral reasons, including aggression or quality of life concerns, and agree to respect those decisions.
6. If my application to volunteer is accepted, I agree to be a volunteer for HOV.
7. I understand and agree that HOV’s website, internal files and records, including names and addresses of employees, volunteers, donors, applicants, membership lists and similar data are the sole property of HOV and that unauthorized disclosure of such information, its appropriation, changes, or alterations to it may constitute a criminal offense.
8. I understand that HOV is not responsible for any illness or injury caused by any animals that I come into contact with during my volunteer work. I hereby agree and release, indemnify and hold harmless HOV and associated Officers, Directors, Employees, and Agents, including PetSmart and PetSmart Charities, from any and all claims, damages and liability arising from or related to my activities as an HOV volunteer.
9. I understand and agree that the behavior of animals is unpredictable and that some animals are capable of inflicting serious personal injury or death, as well as significant property damage. I acknowledge that while HOV will take every reasonable precaution to minimize the potential of danger posed by the animals under its care, it is never possible to guarantee the temperament and/or behavior of any animal at all times and under all circumstances. I therefore agree that if I choose to walk, handle, foster, or care for any HOV animal, I will do so at my own risk.
10. I understand that HOV, without notice or hearing, may terminate my services as a Volunteer at any time, with or without reason. I will promptly return all HOV supplies, equipment, records, moneys, and other items in good, clean condition. I also understand that I am not guaranteed a position in the Volunteer Program.
I REPRESENT THAT I AM OVER EIGHTEEN YEARS OF AGE AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY AND I FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS AND IMPLICATIONS. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT, AND THAT IT IS BINDING AND ENFORCEABLE BY LAW.
As a Heart of the Valley Volunteer, I pledge to:
- Respect others even though I may not agree with them.
- Display courtesy, sensitivity, consideration and compassion for people and animals.
- Use good judgement in recognizing the scope of authority of staff members.
- Keep safety at the forefront of all volunteer activities
- Follow the rules presented to me in training
- Respect and use equipment and supplies as they are intended
- Report all injuries immediately to a staff person
- Perform all tasks to the best of my ability
- Ask for help when needed
- Recognize training is essential to maintain safe shelter practices
- Recognize my limitations and those of others
- Set boundaries for myself - know my limits with the animals and other activities
- Hold myself accountable for the commitments I undertake
- Recognize I communicate verbally and non-verbally
- Listen to the needs of others
- Advise shelter personnel of relevant information regarding the animals and my involvement at the shelter
- Recognize that commitment comes from within
- Respect that people and animals count on me to honor my commitments
- Work together with staff and other volunteers to meet HOV's goals
- Value my role in the maintenance and growth of the organization
- Strive to promote a positive environment
- Respect and support all people and animals