Dear Future Student Volunteer,
Thank you for your interest in becoming a student volunteer with University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center. Volunteers are a valued extension of the medical staff and serve a vital role in making a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It also offers an opportunity to interact with medical professionals, learn new skills, and earn school credit for volunteer service.
Our student volunteers are held to a high standard of commitment and professional behavior. You will represent all of us. If you do not yet qualify, please check back in the future. If you do qualify, let’s get started!
1. Minimum age of 15 years and/or in the ninth grade.
2. Grades in academic subjects must be "B" or better.
3. Maturity level to work independently and with professionalism.
4. Willing to commit to one shift per week during their selected session.
5. Attend an orientation.
6. Proof of negative TB test given within the past 12 months
7. Proof of flu vaccination during designated months
8. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing in English
GENERAL INFORMATION: Student volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of one shift per weekday (4-6:30pm) during one of four sessions. More than one session can be selected.
(1) Fall: Aug-Oct (2) Winter: Nov-Feb (3) Spring: March – May (4) Summer: June-Aug.
It is important to select the session that will allow you to volunteer consistently on a weekly basis and to not miss 3 or more weeks. Missing 3 or more weeks could result in your volunteer position being given to another volunteer.
1. Student volunteers deliver flowers, admit/discharge patients and assist hospital personnel. On occasion, they are asked to assist with mailings and other office tasks. They may be assigned to other areas in the hospital based on maturity, dependability, need and career interests. Students volunteer Monday through Friday from 4:00 – 6:30 p.m. During the summer, student volunteer opportunities are available during daytime business hours as well.
2. Students working in the Gift Shop run the cash register, accept payments, unpack gift items, restock shelves, and assist with maintaining the appearance of the shop.
INSTRUCTIONS: Students must sign and complete the application and secure parent/guardian's signature on the Application, Dress Code Agreement, and Confidentiality Statement. A school counselor should complete the "Counselor Evaluation."
When all forms have been received in Volunteer Services, you will be called regarding your availability and an appointment will be set for an orientation. If you have any questions, please call 329-7362 or email Lois.Koehler@UHHospitals.org