IOWCAS Volunteer Application Form - Individuals
Please complete this application form if you are interested in becoming a Isle of Wight County Animal Services Division volunteer. Once you complete the form, click the Continue button at the bottom.
OK to call me here
OK to call me here
Date of birth:
12 & under
13 to 17
18 to 64
65 or over
Adult X Large
Adult XX Large
Emergency Contact Info
Please enter the best Emergency Contact for you incase something happens while visiting our facility.
Please indicate the days and times you are usually available to volunteer.
11am-3pm JOBS VARIES:
3pm - 4pm CLOSING:
4pm-6pm PM EVENTS:
Events TIMES TBD:
What type of volunteer are you? Please read description below to find the best match for your volunteer type.
- Our Group Member Volunteer is for members of an organizations, class, club, business, church, etc. that is looking to spend their volunteer time served as a group. If this applies to you, please select "Group Member" in the below drop down.. Group Coordinators/Group Leaders must fill out a "Group Application" before scheduling a group visit to the facility. ALL group visits must be pre-scheduled with staff as well.
- Our Community Service Volunteer are typically required by a court order or court related incident. Your available hours are Monday to Sunday from 8 am to 12 pm. Please see staff to have your hours approved before beginning your time. If this applies to you, please select "Community Service" in the below drop down..
- Our Student Volunteers are typically required by their school to complete a certain amount of volunteer hours in order to graduate. Your available hours are from 10 am to 4 pm Tuesdays to Sundays. If this applies to you, please select "Student Volunteer" in the below drop down..
- Our Family Volunteers are a small group of related family members that wish to volunteer together. Your available hours are from 10 am to 4 pm Tuesdays to Sundays. If this applies to your family and you do not plan to track individuals volunteer hours, please select "Family Volunteer" in the below drop down..
- Our Standard Volunteer and Junior Volunteer is for those volunteers not qualifying under the other options above but fall under the stated age class. Your available hours are from 10 am to 4 pm Tuesdays to Sundays. Feel free to come in during that time. You do not have to call before coming in.
Community Service (Court Appointed)
Employee (STAFF USE ONLY)
Family (Multiple Related Volunteers)
Group (Org, Club, Business, etc.)
Junior (13 years old & under)
Standard (Recommended for Individuals)
Student Volunteer (Grad Requirement)
What activities interest you?
Skills & Interests:
Bottle Feeding - Kittens
Bottle Feeding - Puppies
Cleaning Cat Kennels
Cleaning Dog Kennels
Fostering Cats & Kittens
Fostering Dogs & Puppies
Yard Work/Site Improvements
Do you have any allergies, medical conditions or physical limitations that we should know about? If so, please list..
We like to keep volunteers informed of important news, schedules, and volunteer opportunities by email, however will not send you any email you prefer not to receive. Use the checkboxes below to select the kinds of email you would like to receive from us.
What kinds of email would you like to receive?
Policy and Liability Waiver
1. The Isle of Wight County Animal Services Division is committed to positive and enduring community relationships, and all staff and volunteers are expected to uphold that commitment. By signing this application, you are indicating that you understand and will conduct yourself accordingly.
2. The Isle of Wight County Animal Services Division is an open intake shelter. Which means we accept all animals (resident of Isle of Wight County) regardless of age, health, or temperament. Because we accept all animals surrendered by residences of Isle of Wight County as well as house the strays of Isle of Wight County, we occasionally must euthanize animals who do not meet our health or temperament requirements. We also sometimes must euthanize animals due to space limitations. This also means that at any given time, citizens may be surrendering their pets. Please be respectful of this process on behalf of the animal, the citizen and the staff members assisting. Please let us know if you have any questions about these policies.
3. During an individual’s visit to the shelter, all volunteer policies and disclaimers apply to any and all member of visiting party. (To include children, parents, guardians or chaperones) if regulations and instructions are not being followed staff has the right to terminate individuals level of participation at any time during the duration of the visit.
4. The Isle of Wight County Animal Services Division is not liable for any lost or stolen personal items that are brought into the facility. The shelter has provided lockers for all volunteers to use. Please feel free to bring a personal lock for your belongings. All items stored in the lockers must be taken home with you after each day. Any item(s) found in the locker at the end of business, are subject to being placed into our Lost & Found. If you have left your personal lock on one of the lockers (restricting others from using) for more than 2 weeks, Isle of Wight Animal Shelter has the right to remove your personal lock.
5. Please make sure to notify staff if there is any physical limitations, allergies or fear/uncertainty of participating members
6. We often take photos of our volunteers and our visiting groups during their visits to use as promotions on our Facebook and other social media sites. Please notify all guardians of visiting children of this possibility. We can provide consent forms to the main contact, if needed. If they do not wish to be featured or have their photos taken, please speak to staff directly.
7. Please note that ALL volunteers should be dressed appropriately (to include closed toed shoes). Our volunteers often make contact with cleaning products that may stain, direct contact with our animals and/or assist with yard work. Please wear something you can get dirty.
8. Isle of Wight County Animal Services Division partners with Western Tidewater Regional Jail in a trustee work release program. By agreeing and accepting all rules and regulations associated with this program you are agreeing to work alongside said trustees in accordance to both agencies regulations. Termination of your ability to volunteer can/will be revoked at any point that these regulations are thought to be violated.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
I do hereby acknowledge and assume any and all risk of personal injury or property damage or loss occasioned by or resulting from any participation as a volunteer in activities relating to the operations of the Isle of Wight Sheriff’s Office Animal Services Division (IOW Animal Shelter). I further agree to release the Isle of Wight Sheriff’s Office (IOWSO), Isle of Wight County, the Board of Supervisors, Constitutional Officers, employees, staff, volunteers, and/or agents from all causes of action and claims of personal injury or property damage or loss of any kind which may be suffered by me. I hereby waive all legal rights and claims which I might otherwise assert or maintain against IOWOS, Isle of Wight County, or any other persons listed above, including but not limited to rights arising from or claims for the acts or omissions, fault, or negligence in any degree of IOWSO, Isle of Wight County, or any of the persons listed above.
I understand and agree that neither Isle of Wight County nor any of the persons listed above shall be liable or responsible for any medical or related costs I may incur as a result of my participation in the Animal Shelter operations or activities.
*My signature below indicates that I have read and understand the above Release of Liability. I also acknowledge that all information in this application is true and I agree to the terms in this application.
Close This Window