Welcome & thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at the University Medical Center of El Paso. We look forward to your energy and enthusiasm that volunteers, such as you, add to the service we provide to our patients.
Like any new undertaking, there are some details that need to be accomplished before starting as a volunteer. Please take the time to read this letter thoroughly it will make the process easier for you. The following requirements must be met before beginning your volunteer assignment:
- Fill out a Volunteer Services Application.
- Interview with Cristina Cruz Ramirez (We will call you once your application is reviewed).
- Read and sign the Volunteer Guidelines
- Authorization to Perform a Criminal Background Check forms (Will be given to you during your interview).
- A TB test and lab work (These procedures will be done at the University Medical Center of El Paso at no charge to you).
- TB tests are done in Occupational Health located on the second floor of the Annex. If you have not had a TB test in more than one year they will perform the test on you twice.
- Three days after the test is performed you must go back to Occupational Heath and have the test read.
- Lab work including a test for Rubella, Rubeola and Varicella and Titers will be performed in the Outpatient Laboratory located behind the Annex.
- A copy of your shot record if possible.
- Two reference forms (can be obtain at www.umcelpaso.org under volunteer application or click on this link: https://fs29.formsite.com/Droup9/pvlpigrj15/index.html ) to be completed by co-workers, supervisors, professors, family friends etc. Please have the person completing the form fax or mail it to the number/address indicated on the reference form. Do not include reference forms filled out by family members.
- Hospital Orientation (Do not attend orientation until after you have interviewed with the Supervisor of Volunteer Services)
- Must commit to three months of service and a minimum of 100 service hours
All forms must be received in our office before Orientation is scheduled. Orientation is on a Saturday once a month. Orientation is mandatory in order to volunteer. Please bring a pen and paper. You may park in the garage located in front of the hospital.
After Orientation you may schedule a clearance appointment with me to receive your ID badge and uniform. A $15 fee for the uniform and a $5 deposit for the ID badge is required to receive the uniform and badge that must be worn at all times while volunteering on the hospital premises. The $20 deposit will be returned to you after you have completed your volunteer assignment and have returned the uniform and ID badge.
An official background check will be conducted on all volunteers prior to being accepted into the program. There is no cost for the background check. As a volunteer, your accumulated hours for service, does not translate into internship or externship hours.
Im looking forward to working with you and helping you enjoy your time with us. Again, thank you for making us your choice for your volunteer experience!
Cristina Cruz Ramirez
Manager, Support Services Operations