When accepted as a hospital Volunteer:
1. Being a hospital volunteer carries the responsibility of being loyal to the hospital. I understand that hospital affairs are strictly confidential and I am subjected to the same code of ethics which governs the hospital staff. I am expected to comply with the policies and procedures of the University Medical Center of El Paso and the Guest Service Department.
2. My services are donated to the hospital without contemplation of compensation or future employment. I also understand that solicitation for employment while serving as a volunteer is against the hospital. My services are given with humanitarian, religious, or charitable reasons.
3.Upon arrival to the hospital, I will clock-in using my ID badge. When leaving the hospital I will clock-out. I understand that if I forget to clock in or out I must inform the Supervisor of Volunteer Services with-in 24 hours or I will not receive credit for the hours volunteered that day.
4. I am required to provide the history of my past immunizations before the start of my volunteer service. I may be asked to receive a tuberculosis skin test and provide a sample of blood (to check my immunity to chickenpox and measles). Any tests required by the University Medical Center will be provided at no cost to me.
5. I must attend an orientation before beginning my volunteer service. The information provided (including the confidentiality and substance abuse testing policies) during this orientation must be presented to all staff members, including volunteers. I will be required to review this information on a yearly basis. I will also be required to update my tuberculosis skin test annually in order to remain active as a volunteer.
6. I am required to wear a uniform while volunteering. The Supervisor of Volunteer Services will provide dress code information during the orientation. Volunteers are not permitted to wear scrubs.
7. I will report to my volunteer assignment on time and in appropriate attitude. I will be issued an identification badge, which will be used to record my time on the Electronic Time Collection System. This badge must be worn at all times while I am volunteering. It is against hospital policy to use this badge in any manner which it is not intended. I understand that I must return my uniform and badge when I have completed my service.
8. I understand that I am authorized to charge a maximum of $5.80 per day in the cafeteria before or after a four-hour shift on the days I volunteer. If I go over I am responsible for the difference.
9. If I am not able to report at my scheduled time, I will call the department to which I am assigned as far in advance as possible.
10. I shall not sell or attempt to sell goods or service, request contributions or solicit person to sign or distribute literature of any kind on the hospital premises unless I receive the express authorization of the Supervisor of Volunteer Services to engage in these activities.
11. There shall be no loitering in any part of the hospital at any time. I shall not visit friends, patients, or other volunteers except in the line of duty. I will not come to the hospital unless I am volunteering and in uniform. The only exceptions are, of course, if I am a patient or visiting a patient.
12. Any accident, injury or unusual occurrence in which I may be involved while volunteering must be reported to the Guest Services Department Office immediately.
13. I shall attempt to resolve any problems related to my volunteer activities with my supervisor, and, if unsuccessful, attempt to resolve such problems with the Supervisor of Volunteer Services.
14. I will not ask the staff for professional advice for myself or my family while I am on duty. The privilege of being a volunteer does not include free medical service or a reduction in hospital rates.
15. I will not give medications, take vital signs, provide any type of direct patient care or leave the hospital to run errands for patients or associates. I understand that the person in charge of my department or floor is responsible for the section, and I am under his or her supervision. When in doubt as to any procedure, I will consult the supervisor and let him or her take the responsibility.
16. I understand that the following places are off-limits to volunteers: Isolation Rooms, Operating Rooms, Delivery Rooms and the Morgue.
17. By agreeing to become a volunteer, I have made a commitment to provide a service of both my time and ability. I shall fulfill my commitment to volunteer three months for a minimum of 100 hours at The University Medical Center by completing all assignments I accept.
18. As a volunteer, I am eligible to receive a permit to park my vehicle in the employee garage at no cost. This permit is the property of the University Medical Center and may be revoked at any time if abuses of this privilege are reported to the Supervisor of Volunteer Services. I understand that my accumulated hours of service will not translate to Internship or Externship hours.
19. As a volunteer, I may be subject to drug and alcohol testing when a Supervisor or other observers reasonably suspect the individual under the influence.
20. I understand the Volunteer Services Department reserves the right to terminate my volunteer status as a result of:
- Failure to comply with the policies and procedures of the hospital.
- Absence without prior notification.
- Unsatisfactory attitude, work or appearance; or
- Any other circumstances which, in the judgment of the Volunteer Representative, would make my continued service as a volunteer contrary to the best interest of the hospital.
I have read the above guidelines, I will abide by them.
BY YOU CHECKING THE "I AGREE" CHECKBOX, YOU INDICATE YOUR APPROVAL FOR US TO CHECK REFERENCES AND CONTACT YOUR PHYSICIAN TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE ABLE TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE VOLUNTEER POSTION YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR IN A REASONABLE AND SAFE MANNER.
THE ORGNIZATION IS NOT OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE A PLACEMENT, NOR ARE YOU OBLIGATED TO ACCEPT THE POSITION OFFERED.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR VOLUNTEERS ARE PROVIDED WITHOUT REGARD TO RELIGION, CREED, RACE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE OR SEX.
Please indicate your consent by clicking on the 'I agree' checkbox.