Please complete this application form if you are interested in becoming a Kalamazoo Nature Center volunteer. Once you complete the form, click the submit button at the bottom.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center Mission Statement: The Kalamazoo Nature Center is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to inspire people to care for the environment by providing experiences that lead them to understand their connection to the natural world.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is an equal opportunity organization that will not discriminate in its programs or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, height, weight, sexual orientation or gender identity, marital status, or political affiliation.
All potential volunteers of the Kalamazoo Nature Center must grant the organization permission to run a background check. This is a standard procedure for everyone and if permission is not granted, you will not be eligible to volunteer with the Kalamazoo Nature Center.
I understand that a criminal history check may be obtained prior to my appointment as a volunteer. By signing this agreement I agree to a criminal history check and agree to provide the KNC with my birth date.
Please enter your current address. Enter any other address where you resided within the last 24 months in the space below. If you lived outside of Michigan within the last 5 years, please enter your most recent out-of-state address.
If you are volunteering as part of a group, please identify your group or your group leader.
You may optionally provide some of the following information used only to help us get a better idea of the demographic make-up of our volunteers. Date of birth is required below because all volunteers at KNC must be screened for criminal history and, if necessary, driving history.
Please list one responsible adult (18+ years old) who can be our primary point of contact in case of emergency.
IF YOU ARE UNDER 18, PLEASE LIST A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN. THEY WILL NEED TO SIGN A SEPARATE RELEASE & WAIVER OF LIABILITY FORM ON YOUR BEHALF.
Please read carefully. This is a legal statement that affects your legal rights.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center (KNC) encourages and supports volunteers. I volunteer my time and my services because of my support of the KNC and because of my desire to participate actively in the furtherance of the work of KNC. Therefore, I do freely, voluntarily, and without duress execute this Release and acknowledge the following terms:
1. Waiver and Release. I hereby release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue the KNC, its officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all liability to me, for all losses, injury, death or damage, and any claims or demands thereto, on account of injury to person or property, or resulting in my death in reference to the activities authorized in my work as a volunteer. I hereby covenant and agree to indemnify and save harmless, the KNC, its officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all claims or demands, for all loss, injury, death or damage, that any person or entity may have or make, in any manner, arising out of any occurrence related my work as a volunteer.
2. Medical Treatment. I release and discharge the KNC from any claim that arises or may arise due to any first aid, medical treatment, or service rendered to me.
3. Assumption of Risk. I understand that my work for the KNC may include may include activities that may be hazardous. I assume the risk of injury or harm in those activities I choose to do and release the KNC from all liability for injury, illness, death, or property damage occurring from by work for the KNC. I will not accept a work assignment for which I do not believe I have had adequate training or which I do not believe I am physically capable of performing.
4. Insurance. The KNC does not have responsibility for providing any health, medical or disability insurance coverage for me. IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY AS A VOLUNTEER TO ENSURE I HAVE MEDICAL/HEALTH INSURANCE.
5. Photograph/Image Release. As a Kalamazoo Nature Center employee (volunteer), I understand that my image, including photographs, video images and any reproductions thereof, may be used for any legal purpose of the Kalamazoo Nature Center including – but not limited to – advertising, brochures, fliers and for general media purposes. By signing this document:
• I consent to the use of photographs, video images and any reproductions thereof by the Kalamazoo Nature Center, and its affiliates, for use in any from pertinent to the operation of same, or any other legal purposes.
• I also consent to the use of my name in connection herewith.
• I agree that all images shall become the property of the Kalamazoo Nature Center.
• I understand this document becomes effective upon signing this release and covers images taken during my volunteer status at the Kalamazoo Nature Center and that the images taken during this time may be used at any time, with or without my knowledge, from that point forward, regardless of my employment status.
6. Copyright Laws. I understand that showing videos in public that are intended for home viewing is prohibited under the U.S. copyright laws.
7. Discrimination Laws. I agree to follow the KNC’s policy along with state and federal laws that forbid discrimination in employment, education, housing, public accommodation, law enforcement or public service based on a person’s religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, height, weight or disability.
8. In-Kind Service. The KNC is eligible for some grants that require the KNC to match the dollars received from the grant. Many of these grants allow the KNC to use in-kind services as a portion of this match instead of actual dollars. I understand that my volunteer time may be used as an in-kind service to help the KNC earn its match for some grants from federal or other sources. By signing this form, I consent to the use of my volunteer time as a possible in-kind match for grants received by the KNC.
9. Other. I agree that this Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of Michigan, and that this Release is governed by and will be interpreted according to the laws of Michigan. I understand that should any part of this Release be ruled invalid by a court, the other parts will remain valid and continue to be in effect.
IF YOU ARE UNDER 18, YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN MUST SIGN AND SUBMIT A SEPARATE RELEASE AND WAIVER FORM. EMAIL VOLUNTEER@NATURECENTER.ORG TO OBTAIN A COPY OF THAT FORM.
If you agree to the terms of our Volunteer Release and Waiver of Liability, please re-enter your full name in the space provided. If you are under age 18, please email email@example.com to request a form for your parent or guardian to sign.