Lighthouse Guild International provides many services for the visually impaired including reading services. Some clients are unable to travel to the Lighthouse Guild Manhattan office so we seek volunteers from every borough to support those clients who may need office support for their place of business and for clients with limited mobility or other issues that keep them homebound.
Job Summary: Volunteers will read the materials provided by the clients. In addition to reading, volunteers may be asked to complete forms, conduct internet searches, and otherwise support a client’s personal reading needs. Volunteers will either be asked to meet client at a specific location or in the client’s home.
• Travel to agreed location by volunteer and reader.
• Read materials provided by the client.
• Assist client as needed by completing forms and/or conduct internet searches, etc.
• High School to College level reader required.
• Ethical character, trustworthy and reliable.
• Strong reading voice.
• Able to read for an extended period of time.
• Strong commitment to service required.
Some positions may involve assistance with simple tasks that support the reading function.
(Note: Some proficiency with internet use and or smart devices may be needed)