Pet Therapists (dogs) and their handlers (dog owners) visit with Adult Day Center clients (many have cognitive and memory challenges) and staff. Must be registered with one of three approved pet therapy agencies: Project Pup, Alliance of Therapy Dogs, or Pet Partners.
Handlers and therapists must be currently registered as an active member in Pet Partners, Alliance of Therapy Dogs, or Project Pup. Handlers must be at least 18 years old and have owned their dog for at least six months. Handlers must provide Volunteer Services:
- A photocopy of their current/active registration/membership in one of the aforementioned pet therapy agencies submitted annually or biannually based upon the registering agency requirements, prior to the expiration date
- Current year pet health screening signed by licensed veterinarian (and annually thereafter)
- Current proof of negative fecal status, and record of current immunization against Bordetella, parvo, rabies, and distemper
- Proof of registering agency’s liability insurance policy and verification of current coverage. In some cases, this may be provided directly to Volunteer Services by the registering agency.
- Pet Therapist: Must be at least one year old and hold current registration as a pet therapist through one of the aforementioned agencies and meet all requirements as outlined above.