Position Title: Mobile Volunteer Shopper |
Reports To: Mobile Pantry Staff—Mobile Food Program Manager and Mobile Food Program Coordinator
Position Summary: The Volunteer Shopper is responsible for assisting clients as they select their groceries throughout the Mobile Pantry.
Primary Duties and Essential Responsibilities:
• Meet Mobile Pantry Bus at a designated site.
• Assist clients as they select their groceries based on The Open Door Pantry guidelines
• Bag client’s groceries as the client selects food. Separate perishables and non-perishables.
• Answer questions
• Help weigh groceries. Bring groceries to car, as needed.
• Provide excellent customer service
Skills and Qualifications:
• Must be 16+ years of age.
• Ability to stand on feet for up to 3 hours
• Comfortable interacting with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds
• Strong desire to eradicate hunger in Dakota County
• Must be able to lift bags of food
• Closed-toed shoes required
• Spanish Language skills helpful, but not necessary
Other Important Information
This volunteer position will support Food Distribution Programs that provide access to fresh healthy food for nearly 5,000 people each month. This position is in an industrial setting with fluctuating temperature ranges and involves possible lifting.
Training and Support
• Attending a volunteer orientation is required before volunteering. Volunteer Shoppers are emailed prior to first volunteer shift. Training is provided on site by staff and/or shadowing other volunteers.
• Staff will be available throughout the entire volunteer shift.
Commitment (time, duration and location)
• Mobile Volunteer Shoppers will meet the Mobile Pantry bus at various locations throughout Dakota County.
• Volunteer shifts are 1.5 to 2.5 hours long. Weekday morning, afternoon and evening opportunities are available
• There is no requirement of volunteer shifts each month.
Benefits to the Volunteer
• Help your neighbors
• Help in the fight to end hunger in Dakota County
• Meet new friends