This team is made up of self-directed volunteers committed to improving the general living experience of all cats at the HHS. We provide basic care and humane contact for cats that are healthy and adjusted; but prioritize efforts toward those cats who are behaviorally challenged. The Cat Lovers Team provides nursing care and gentle socialization for cats that may otherwise fall ill or are unable to present well to the public due to environmental stress. |
Make sure the public does not take any cats out of their condos and that they have an adoption pass before interacting with any cats.
HOW CAN VOLUNTEERS HELP?
- Assess the cats: Observe their health and behavior, attend to
their needs, and report their condition to the adoptions desk or team leader.
- Provide enrichment: donate items such as cardboard boxes, or
other cat toys. (see enrichment program)
- Volunteers must complete volunteer training.
- Volunteers must commit to 4 hours each month.
- Dates and times are pre-scheduled.
- Volunteers must have a genuine concern for the welfare of cats.|
- No specific tasks will be laid out per shift; therefore,
volunteers must be self-motivated and have the ability to make
appropriate judgment calls, asking questions when necessary.
- Volunteers must be willing to work with the general public
through cat adoptions.
- Experience with cats and knowledge of feline body language is
preferred but not required.
- A willingness to work with all cats regardless of appearance.
Assist adopters in the cat condos with questions about our adoptable pets. Check adopter's passes to allow them into the individual cat condos. Ensure each person is sanitizing hands between kennels.|
Socialize the more timid cats with treats, toys, and patience. Give each cat attention, note their behavior and any illness or injury to staff.
14700 Almeda Road|
Houston, TX 77053
|Volunteer Orientation Required:||YES|
|Safe Dog Handling Class Required:||NO|
|Foster Orientation Required:||NO|
|Volunteers serve up to: