VITA Tax Preparer / Quality Reviewer
VITA Tax Preparers help to provide free tax preparation services to clients with low or moderate income who are primarily Spanish-speaking. As a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) approved site, and with the help of dedicated volunteers, CLUES’ Financial Empowerment Department processed over 1,300 tax returns during the 2019 tax season, retuning over $2.5 million in refunds to the community! |
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, VITA providers across the country are challenged to evolve typical, in person service delivery models and adapt into the provision of Remote and Virtual based services. Therefore, most VITA related activities will be provided remotely, with minimal in-person interaction with taxpayers.
Position Type: Unpaid volunteer opportunity
Schedule & Locations: the 2019 Tax Season runs from February 9th – April 15, 2021
• Minimum Time Commitment: Volunteers should commit to a minimum of 3-5 hours per week during the times listed below with some time flexibility options for the duration of the 2020 Tax Season
• Location flexibility: Ability to drive to CLUES St. Paul location to access equipment and technology. Bulk of services will be done virtually and/or remotely.
• Training Requirements: Volunteers will have access in-house re-recorded VITA Tax Law videos which cover topics necessary to become VITA Tax Certified. They can also participate in ongoing live study groups to receive additional support and preparation to pass the required certification exams. (10-12 hour training time investment)
• Scheduling Options:
Intake, Document Review and Data Entry
Flexible timeframes: Volunteer will have access to secured cloud-based network drive to gain access to clients’ intake, disclosures and document scans, to transfer to tax preparation software prior to client’s brief engagement with taxpayer at a prescheduled time.
Direct Engagement with Taxpayers / Quality Review
o Tuesdays, 5:00pm – 8:00pm (For 15 min phone/virtual interaction with taxpayer / Quality Review)
o Thursdays, 5:00pm – 8:00pm (For 15 min phone/virtual interaction with taxpayer) / Quality Review)
*Potential flexibility around scheduling is possible per volunteer’s preferred time availability. Subject to experience and comfort level.
• Ensure taxpayer’s Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet is properly completed based on information the taxpayer provides
• Prepare tax returns within the scope of training and certification level(s).
• Prepare accurate federal and state tax returns for qualified taxpayers only based on information provided by the taxpayers.
• Answers basic tax-related questions and refers taxpayers who have complex (out of VITA’s scope) tax returns to the appropriate organizations or offices for assistance. Asks follow-up questions to clarify any unclear circumstances when necessary.
• Ensure all reportable income is reported on the taxpayer’s return(s) and all allowable/eligible deductions and credits are claimed for the taxpayer.
• Maintain open communication with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Site Coordinator and solicit feedback when necessary.
• Maintains confidentiality of taxpayer information.
Virtual/Remote access specific:
• Assist with basic troubleshooting to taxpayer to access proper technology platforms (Virtual conference platform, DocuSign)
• Follow up with clients to gather missing information prior to scheduled meeting for Tax Prep validation and Quality Review
CLUES reserve the right to terminate an internship or volunteer commitment if behavior is not in compliance with CLUES policies.
Qualifications, Requirements, & Training:|
• Interest and/or experience in accounting, taxes, financial education is helpful, but not required.
• Written and verbal communication skills in Spanish preferred, but not required.
• Must pass a criminal background check
• Pass the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Standards of Conduct training.
• Pass the IRS Basic and/or Advanced Tax Preparer Exam and get certified for the 2020 season.
Virtual/Remote Specific Access: (Recommended)
• Ability to navigate basic virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, WhatsApp, etc)
• (Highly Recommended but not required) Access to high speed internet from home, with potential option to access our facilities to utilize equipment.
• (Highly Recommended but not required) Access to Home PC or Laptop, with possible security diagnosis by CLUES IT Rep, and allow access to secure, cloud-based platforms.
CLUES Mpls & St. Paul Offices|
|Background Check Required?:||Criminal|