The Education and Employment Resource Center is a computer lab in the Kennedy Shelter that clients have access to if they need to apply for jobs or search for housing. Volunteers in the EERC work one on one with clients to aid them in their search for jobs or housing by assisting with writing resumes, submitting online job applications, researching job openings and available housing, and other tasks as needed. Volunteers in the EERC are extremely helpful, as the EERC is not open unless there is a staff person or volunteer available to supervise.
• Open and close the EERC on time and maintain a clean environment
• Supervise the use of computers and monitor internet usage to ensure residents are using the computers for employment and housing searches
• Ensure clients follow the rules of the EERC
• Help clients by answering their questions to the best of your ability
• Provide general help with computer operation and software features, such as setting up an e-mail account, printing, saving, and retrieving documents
• Report supply needs and damaged/faulty equipment.
• Exercise time management allowing all residents time to use the computers or have their questions answered
• Act as a representative of New Hope Housing while volunteering and in the community
• Stay abreast of information current to homelessness and housing issues and trends in the Northern Virginia area
• Check in with supervisor upon arrival
• Keep supervisor informed of any changes in schedule or availability
• Maintain confidentiality