Each day, we deliver to about 200 clients in the Ypsilanti area. For many of our clients, a volunteer is the only person they see all day. For some, their favorite part of our program is seeing the smiling faces of the volunteers and taking a few minutes to visit. Deliveries are divided between 6 routes, each handled by one of our Client Care Associates (CCA). Within these routes are 8“mini routes” that are assigned to volunteers. These routes are largely in apartment buildings.
All volunteers who participate must read this training packet and sign the forms on the last pages if they agree to participate in meal delivery. COVID-19 protocols are in place and must be adhered to at all times.
- Current delivery days are Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays.
- Shifts start at 11:30am and take approximately 1.5-2 hours to complete
- Report to the office on your scheduled day between 11:30am and 12pm to pick up supplies. Return all supplies to office upon completion of shift.
- Review the contents of your coolers, route sheets, and any instructions for the assigned route before leaving the YMOW office.
- Provide accurate and complete record keeping via route sheet.
- Deliver the correct food items to each recipient on the route.
- Contact office immediately when client does not answer or acknowledge the door.
- Assure that the food is accessible to the meal recipient while maintaining COVID-19 protocols. Staff and volunteers may not enter clients’ homes.
- Adhere to appropriate food handling procedures.
- Deliver other items to clients such as Personal Care Pantry items, additional food items, Client Connection newsletters, and any other items assigned to recipients.
- Be alert for changes in recipients’ condition and/or emergency situations and report to the office via route sheet.
- Drive in a safe and courteous manner, adhering to all state roadway laws.
- Provide excellent customer service, which includes being cordial and attentive to the individual needs of each client.
- Work as a cooperative team member!
- High school education/GED and at least 18 years old; Minors can accompany a driver over 18 years old
- Have access to a smartphone or GPS device or exceptional knowledge of roads and neighborhoods in our service area
- Protect confidential client information
- Have use of a reliable vehicle
- Good driving record (Verified by Volunteer Coordinator)
- Be able to pass a background check, Michigan and National Sex Offender Registry search (conducted by Volunteer Coordinator)
- Ability to lift 20-30 lbs., climb stairs where applicable, and get/in and out of vehicle frequently
- Ability to follow directions and compute simple math
- Reliability, time management and organizational skills
- Loves working with people, especially the elderly population
- Committed to the vision of YMOW